Tuesday 21 June 2011

What Is It About Australia And Shit Hot Metal? This Is A Review By The Way.....

No, this isn't me going into detail about how the Aussie's seem to just continually shit out fucking amazing metal bands. It's actually a review on one of these aforementioned fit as fuck bands.


The band in question is Northlane. 






I had heard of these guys before i really got into the progressive scene. In fact it was in my "If it isnt the most generic deathcore, its shit." phase. And dont lie, nearly all of us have had one of those or at least something similar. I dismissed them back then, foolishly. I had completely forgotten about them until some nutty looking bloke called Nick Stevens posted on the Facebook Wall saying simply "Northlane". I then remembered I had downloaded their début effort, Hollow Existence, and so trawled through my 1TB hard drive to find it. Eventually I did and fuck me sideways, do I feel stupid for disregarding it! 


Hollow Existence is SOLID. I am used to releases being kind of hit and miss in the "Progressive Deathcore/Metalcore" genre, I.E. there is one really good track, maybe two, and the rest just feels like filler material. This is definitely not the case here. From start to finish these metalheads from Sydney just repeatedly rape the shit out of your ears with a big dollop of heavy progressive loveliness. 


The EP starts as it means to go on, fusing heavy chug style chords with a more melodic, ambient tone in the background. It flows through, switching effortlessly between sounding like melodic hardcore right through to deathcore. All the while it maintains that progressive feel with, i hate calling them breakdowns because they aren't but yeah, polyrhythmic breakdowns and some sweet riffing. However if normal breakdowns are your thing then there are a few of them thrown in for good measure.




Track Listing

  1. Hollow 
  2. Keymaker
  3. Set In Stone
  4. All Seeing Eye
  5. Metamorphosis 
  6. The Deadmines 
Most of the album reminds me a little of Architects. Before you cry out in anger, I am talking pre The Here And Now. Ya know, before they went shit. Hollow Crown era is when I'm talking. Back to the point, it is chaotic and just in your face in places which is exactly how a metal album should be. I also hear a lot of For The Fallen Dreams in there too. Again I'm talking pre Back Burner. 

My favourite track on the album is probably Metamorphosis, its heavy but carries a definite groove throughout it. The chugging in the verses is interspersed beautifully with little riffs that compliment the heaviness. The end of the song is fantastic too, a trance sounding track kicks in once the song finishes, soon to be replaced by the guitars then the drums. It rounds the track off wonderfully as it builds to a crescendo, ushering in the final track of the EP.

So, this is a top quality first release from these guys and I definitely look forward to their first full length "Discoveries" which is due Mid-Late 2011. The vocals are done very well, utilising the vocalists obvious talent for highs as well as lows. The guitar and bass work is pretty much spot on and the drummer obviously knows what he is doing with a top quality display. 

Make sure you check out their Facebook page HERE and give them a big old 'Like'! 

And for those of you who haven't heard any of their stuff, here is a YOUTUBE link to the song Metamorphosis.

Thanks for reading guys, I will be about on the Facebook Page as always. If you haven't already checked it out, head over to Facebook and search Musings Of A Djentleman. I hope to see you there! 

Will be back tomorrow with more random shit and possibly an interview. Maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment