Tuesday 14 June 2011

Two Words. Evan Brewer.

Now, I am almost certain that these two words will mean nothing to quite a lot of people reading this. Hell, they meant nothing to me until about a month ago! 



Evan Brewer is the bassist from the band The Faceless. A very good one at that. He used to be in Reflux with the mighty Tosin Abasi before they decided to call it a day. I knew pretty much nothing about him until I went to go and see The Faceless on the European Invasion tour last month. Because I was going to see them headline, I thought I would check out the latest goings on in regards to the band, then low and behold i see an article dedicated to Evan. I read the article and was quite taken a back to discover he is releasing a solo album consisting of JUST the bass guitar. No drums, no vocals, just bass. 

Now, i like to see myself as a very open minded kind of person when it comes to music, but, even i was a bit sceptical about how this would turn out. It is certainly experimental and different, especially considering it is still being marketed in the metal scene. 

However. From what I have heard, it is absolutely fucking fantastic. No it isn't heavy, or BRUTAL! What it is, is musicality at its most impressive. This guy knows how to play and clearly loves the instrument. Some of it is just mind blowing, in regards to its technicality and composition. It really does show you can do just about anything with a bass guitar. 




In a way I feel quite sorry for metal bassists because they get none of the attention that other band members receive. It is seen as a mainly support instrument, which i suppose it is, but Evan is showing you can do so much more with it. 

Here are links to youtube videos of him playing through some of the tracks on Alone:


There is also a video of him discussing the album HERE

Alone drops on June 28th through Sumerian Records, so make sure you grab yourself a copy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment