Monday 13 June 2011

This Week's Featured Artist......An Obscure Signal.

As if you hadn't guessed by my previous post! 

Anyway, this is something I am aiming to do every week. I know it is done a lot on blogs and shit these days but I think it is a cool idea and will definitely help some of the lesser known bands get some attention (hopefully). 



An Obscure Signal are a 5 piece outfit hailing from good ol' Maryland in the USA, and are certainly making waves in the progressive metal scene. Their sound is in the vein of a lot of prog/djent bands out there today, such as Veil Of Maya, No Consequence, Elitist and We Are The Illusion. They may not be as crazily technical as VoM or as heavy as some of the other acts but they definitely hold their own, creating a sound that is very unique in an increasingly overflowing genre. 

I first came across the band just over a year ago, after they released their début EP, Creations. It struck me as something completely different and helped widen my horizons as it were. I doubt I would be listening to some of the insane shit I listen to now if it wasnt for these guys!  



After Creations dropped, the band spent most of 2010 honing their live performances, playing shows all over the US. Impressing crowds wherever they went, An Obscure Signal have built up quite a following, culminating in a one off release for fans in early 2011 entitled Occurrences. The song was produced by the, now legendary, Misha Mansoor and Spencer Sotelo of Periphery. This was of course great, however it was also rather annoying because it just left us all wanting to hear more. 

I was going to do a sort of "mini-review" of Creations but I decided I couldn't be arsed to explain to people how amazing it is. Detailing how it goes from the heavier side of the spectrum to some excellently crafted melodic sections. So just go download it people! Its available on Itunes for a mere £4. Everyone can afford that. Surely? 

Anyway, at some point this week I should have an interview up with the band to see what's going on this year for them and what we can expect in the future. 

See y'all soon




No comments:

Post a Comment